Monday, December 1, 2014

HDC Chainless Foundation

One of the things that I despised the most when first learning to crochet was working stitches into a chain.  It's one of my least favorite things to do along with stitching things like buttons on.

When I first decided to try a chain-less foundation or a foundation chain (whichever you prefer), I watched a video and it confused me.  I left it alone for a while and decided to try it again.  Wowzers!!!!  It's one of my new found loves!
Most of my new designs will begin with chain-less foundations and I will be updating my older patterns to this also.  I Love the way it keeps the stitching more even and it gives a good stretch to the base of your project whereas a regular chain can sometimes be to tight. 
Some people learn better with videos and others with photos. 
If you're a video fan,  here's a link to how to work this foundation:


HDC Chainless Foundation Video from AllFreeCrochet.com

If you're a fan of photos,  here is how I do the Half Double crochet Chain-less Foundation

1) Chain 3, yarn over, insert hook in very first chain and pull up a loop
You'll now have 3 loops on your hook


2) Yarn over and pull through last loop on hook

3) Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook (this is your first hdc)

4) Yarn over and insert hook in bottom chain 

and pull up a loop


5) Yarn over and pull through last loop on hook

6) Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook





Repeat steps 4 - 6 to desired/required length.This is a fantastic way to start projects and I hope you have found this helpful.
Kate

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the photo tutorials! Like you, I have tried several times to learn how to do foundation stitches instead of chaining, always the same ending, extremely frustrated and walking away from crocheting for a few weeks. This is perfect, read through once and it just clicked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm happy to hear it helped. After doing this, you won't want to go back lol

      Delete
  2. I wish it did for me! I hate foundation stitches. How critical is this to the design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I just love that it stretches with the stitches well, but if you're not comfortable with using it, you can always just chain the amount of stitches noted and then a couple extra to use as the turning chain in the designs

      Delete
  3. Hi, in your Peaked Shell afghan pattern, you say to do this foundation stitch in multiples of 4+1. Does the chain space you point to above count as the +1, or do you mean to just do one extra HDC? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allyson,
    You would work one more hdc on the foundation for the +1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you use this technique with other stitches or is it just for hdc? Love the tutorial and can't wait to try it. I have never heard of this. I hate starting chains. I always get it wrong and have to redue them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Here is a link for the dc foundation: http://craftingfriendsdesigns.blogspot.com/2015/02/double-crochet-foundation-chain-photo.html

      I don't have a tutorial for the sc foundation but it's like the hdc except you won't yarn over first and you'd start with 1 less chain.
      It's so nice to work with once you get the hang of it!
      Kate

      Delete
  6. Hi 🙋 Kate I've just found your photo tutorial for foundation hdc. I've tried to learn from videos but can't do it. Don't know if it's coz I'm left-handed or not but your fotos seem to be explaining it and making it seem a lot easier to pluck up the courage to try 😊 . Thankyou ever so much for fotos and for explaining how to transfer technique to other stitches. And Thankyou for your free patterns that I also have just come across x❤ 🙋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I'm so happy it's helped. I do mine slightly different than I've seen others do but the result is still the same. I had a hard time learning from videos too!

      Delete
  7. Dear Kate
    Am writing from Nairobi, Kenya. Just re-started crotchet after decades of break. I hate starting chains as well.Tutorial for hdc seems easy, so cannot wait to try and hope it works out for me too.
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH my goodness. I've tried this by looking at videos and just didn't get it. Your picture tutorial is awesome. I think I can do this now!!! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my goodness. I've tried this by looking at videos and just didn't get it. Your picture tutorial is awesome. I think I can do this now!!! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is awaiting moderation