Friday, June 24, 2011

Brick Stitch Afghan Pattern

It's funny how, in the world of crochet, you can learn a new stitch and work things with it for years and years and then find that there is another stitch out there with the same name but worked completely different.  I don't know which one is correct and I'm sure it happens all the time.  To me, the stitch used in this crochet pattern will always be the Brick Stitch (because I'm a creature of habit!)
I've made so many of these "Brick Stitch" afghans in the past 20 years and always love them!  I love the effect the stitch gives when striping the design and I love the finished afghans using a single color.  They all turn out wonderful and work up quickly.

I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I have! Check out my product list below to make a blanket similar to mine.


**If you prefer a PDF pattern to easily print and ad free, you can purchase one for $2.95 on my website here.  The PDF version includes instructions for a squared off border (not included in this free post)**


Brick Stitch Afghan
Hook Size: I
Gauge: 6 DC & 3 Rows = 2"
Finished Size: Customizable
Materials: Qty will vary based on size working (about 30oz of
4WW yarn for 3'x3').  Caron Simply Soft was used in the photo shown above and is included in my list below.
Stitches:
     Ch - Chain
     Sp - Space
     St - Stitch
     Sl St - Slip Stitch
     SC - Single Crochet
     DC - Double Crochet
     BSt - Brick Stitch (SC, Ch 2, 3 DC) in same st/sp

Begin with a HDC Chainless Foundation in multiples of 3 + 1 to desired width/length - Chain of 73 is 24" with 1 Brick Stitch = 1"

The following photos should help you with a foundation chain if you are not familiar with it.  





















Row 1: Ch 1, turn, *BSt in next st, sk next 2 sts,* Repeat *to* across, SC in end ch sp.








Row 2: Ch 1, turn, BSt in SC, BSt around each Ch 2 sp across to end Bst, SC in end Ch 2 sp








Repeat Row 2 until desired size, fasten off and weave in ends.
For a border, SC or Reverse SC down each side.


2 rows complete


Mint & White Brick Stitch Afghan
Red & White Brick Stitch Afghan

Pink tone Brick Stitch Afghan

Green & Blue Brick Stitch Afghan

6 comments:

  1. Can you show this stich on a VIDEO? I learn better watching it a few times..
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like this pattern and you make it so easy to understand the detail of crocheting, the steps and showing it as well I greatly appreciate. Again thanks so much for sharing and trust me...I will be back and often at that. I want to make several items before my husband comes home by next Christmas and your help will make that a reality. Oh and I LOVE your web page...so real and homey feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This is one of my favorite patterns and is so fast to make. I would love to see completed projects. Email me pictures to craftingfriends4you@yahoo.com or post them on my crafting friends facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.
    I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back sometime soon.
    I want to encourage continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!
    Also visit my web blog Sandpoint waterfront for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a multiple to make it larger? I really like it and your work is superb!!! Great color combinations, too. I just like to make everything really big to snuggle into. Thanks.
    pinkcaddy7@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUH. I just saw your direction for increasing the size . . . LOL. If I would just take the time to read everything ! ! ! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is awaiting moderation